Antiques Road Show



I've had these pliers for oh so many years.  Indeed I used them two days ago to push an errant lens on my sunglasses back into the frame.  "Necessity is the mother of invention"?

As I took a closer look I noted two words which my suggest that my pliers are an antique.

Japan.  Who remembers when our markets were flooded with all manner of Japanese made artifacts?   It was the end of the world as we knew it, and we did not feel fine.

Now the operative word would be CHINA.

Sears.  Who remembers when the catalogues and stores of Sears, Roebuck & Co. were "the place to go"  for well made and reasonably priced items, everything from a pin to an anchor?

Who now automatically thinks of Sears when needing a car repair, a washing machine and drier, a new dress, a new suit, bedding, underwear, towels etc?

The changing patterns of retail shopping (and poor management) mean that Sears is now but a shadow of its former self.

But I'll hang on to my Sears/Japan pliers in the hope that my grand children will treasure them as an antique.

Ooops!  I'm not married and it's now too late to beget children and grandchildren. 😄




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"