A business sign which always warms my heart.


It's on Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota, Florida.




Why does it warm my heart?   Let me tell you. It's about a woman whose first name was Barbara.

Barbara was a member of St. Stephen's Parish in Pittsfield, MA  where I served as Rector 1984-200

Her memory is a treasure.  She was a mother by birth, adoption and fostering to scores of children, many of who would have otherwise never known fierce love.

She was a tireless worker for civil rights in the face of racism.

She was feisty.  She was funny. She was fearless.

Barbara had a will of steel and a heart of gold.

She knew how to tell me (in no uncertain terms!)  when I stepped out of line (every Rector/Vicar/Pastor needs a parishioner who has the spiritual gift of ass-kicking!).

She inspired me. Her memory is a blessing.

And that business sign?

Barbara's "married name" was Barbara Hanger.

Her "birth name" was Barbara Frye.

What a splendid coincidence.  I smile and bless God every time I see it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"