Certain sounds bother my ears (and there is a name for this condition)





Many sounds bother  (and even hurt) my ears. 

That being the case I never watch T.V.  for fear of the shrieking and shouting in the commercials;  I rarely listen to classical music in my home or on the car radio ***; and when I listen to public radio in my car I am for ever turning the noise off  -  it bothers my ears.

I am more than bothered by the noise of lawn mowers, grass trimmers and edgers, and especially leaf blowers.

My local friends know that I cringe at the sounds of noisy restaurants; loud conversations;  souped up cars and  motor bikes;  and modified Dodge Ram, Ford F series, and G.M. super trucks.

More than my discomfort at loud public sounds, I am deeply bothered and made very uncomfortable by high musical notes and sounds.  I'd made a guess that any notes higher than the E above top C were bothersome.   I tested this with any on line key board and my guess was more or less accurate.

So Baroque era  music  *** is problematic with its soaring and high trumpet, violin and flute sounds.

Cellos, Bassoons and French Horns work well for me!

In the days when I attended Church regularly I would often sit with my dear (and now departed) Anno and Adrian Swain.  They sat very near the choir gallery in our almost "in the round" building.

Once a month the Church  hand bell choir would play.  When I saw that the hand bell  choir was "on", I'd have to forsake Adrian and Anno and sit as far away from the bells as was possible. 

I knew that the sound of hand bells bothered my ears greatly, but I did not know why.

Now I know that this aversions to certain sounds, and a somewhat painful reaction  is not a foible of my mind, it is a genuine physical condition called Hyperacusis.  See this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis

There was  story in the Sarasota Herald-Tribune  (26th July 2019) about hyperacusis.  The story helped my to understand that hyperacusis is real  - though thankfully in my case it is nowhere near as acute as that of the woman in the story.

Here is a link to the article:

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20190726/sarasota-doctor-develops-treatment-for-hyperacusis










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"