I (ahem) "acquired" this.back in about 1970



I still own it.

It's a plastic 15" ruler from the old U.K. Westminster Bank.

I worked for the Westminster Bank;  (which originated in 1834),   from 1961 - 1965 , and again from 1967 - 1972 in which year I went to Theological College/Seminary.

The Westminster Bank was the smallest  of the "big five" in England and Wales; alongside the Lloyds, Barclays, Midland, and National Provincial Banks.

We catered chiefly to small businesses, and farmers, and to "middle class" individuals. We were unambitious bankers. 

Note well that I (with great loyalty)  served the Westminster Bank in the south Gloucestershire town of Chipping Sodbury, and the north Somerset village of Chew Magna

This was hardly City of  London,  or Wall Street Banking!

Back in 1968  the London (U.K.) financial markets were roiled when it was announced that the National Provincial and the Westminster Banks would merge -  becoming the National Westminster Bank in 1970.

Sometime later the merged NatWest was acquired by the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS),  which has made a pig's ear of retail and commercial banking. 

That's why my sentimental heart hangs on to the old Westminster Bank ruler which I acquired "somewhere along the way".




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"