The Bland and the Beautiful.

I was a guest of the Chrisman family for last week's Thanksgiving Feast.

We were Donna Chrisman, her sister Barbara, Donna's daughter Ashley,  and Jack Chrisman's second cousin Mary Evelyn.  Jack was unable to join us.

We ate at the Peridia Country Club in Bradenton, FL,




which was very nice except that when you eat out on Thanksgiving there are no leftovers -  the best part of the feast.

With that in mind I bought a small ready cooked Thanksgiving meal from the so-named "upscale"  F...h M....t at the the Sarasota/Bradenton University Town Abomination  (U.T.C.).

All set to share with my neighbours, and for leftovers for me:  thinking in particular about a turkey breast and cranberry relish sandwich.

But what a disappointment.  I encountered bland. The turkey breast was tough and dry -  made palatable only with a lashing of cranberry/orange relish (from Trader Joe's).  Even more awful was  the dressing ( I called it flavoured bread cubes); and the mashed potatoes which I swear came  from flaked or powdered origins, since the gravy could do no more than sit on top of them, and could not be absorbed.  "Wallpaper paste with gravy".

Yes indeed it was food, for which I should be grateful, but please permit me a whine given my expectations of F...h M ....t products.

Still life with mush.

----------------------------------------------------------

But then there is beautiful. 

The gracious and caring St. Boniface Sarasota parishioner D'Arlene Llewellyn read my blog about Dundee Cake.  That inspired her to mail order this for me


Oh how good to look at, and even better to eat.  It's a delicious Fruit Cake, laden with pecans and cherries from the Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana TX.

I'll take rich Fruit Cake over bland Turkey any day!    Thank you D'Arlene.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"