Your Tax Dollars at work!

It was in the late 1980's or early 1900's that I was asked to give the invocation and benediction at the G.E.  Naval Ordinance works in Pittsfield MA., on the occasion of a change in U.S. Navy Command.  The departing Navy Commander, a parishioner at St. Stephen's, Pittsfield MA.,  had asked me to do so.


The change in command ceremonies are impressive.  There is always an Officer in Command. Always.

What I did not expect is that there would be a fine aluminum sign made to reserve my parking space.



Made for my convenience, but used in all its glory for only two hours.

I was asked to take it home as a souvenir, and it is still in my possession.  It has no practical use, but maybe you might have a suggestion for its use - polite or saucy!

Incidentally

1.  If I have my facts straight, G.E.  sold this unit to the Martin Marietta  Company, which soon after merged with Lockheed to become Lockheed Martin.  The employees in Pittsfield did what they had always done, but within the space of a year worked for three different Corporations.

The Pittsfield unit is now owned  by General Dynamics.



2.   General Electric was at one time the major and dominant employer in  Pittsfield MA , and  in Schenectady N.Y.  

But in both cities no ever  one worked for G.E.  

People worked for the G.E. 

"Where do you work?" "at the G.E."


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"