The Woman Who Tied My Shoelaces In Public

Mr. Z and I set out yesterday morning for the Goodwill Second Hand Book Store on Clark Rd. Sarasota.

En route we took a walk at the Red Bug Slough Preserve, an oft ignored parcel of natural Florida.

 The preserve is named for the cotton stainer bug (scientific name: Dysdercus suturellus)

https://www.visitsarasota.com/parks/red-bug-slough-preserve

This link describes it well.  There are no paved walkways; the walking is on sandy trails.

Zion savoured all the new smells, his nose worked overtime.















Red Bug

 As we drew near to the parking lot on our way out we encountered an older couple (I sometimes choose to forget that I am an older man!) with their two miniature Dachshunds, one entirely black.


Stock photo'

The woman explained that her dogs were a bit yappy, but Mr. Z soon worked his calming magic on them.

Then the woman noticed that my shoe laces were somewhat awry (mid-way between teenager sloppy and Longboat Key elegant).

Despite my gentle protests she insisted on getting onto her knees and re-tying the laces on both shoes.

Well I never.  Was she a neat-freak or a concerned citizen who didn't want me to trip?

I'll never know.  But it felt distinctly odd to have a complete stranger re-tie the laces  -  in a public park!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

About those ough words.  Just how are they to be pronounced?

In the case of the word "slough" I've heard it pronounced three different ways.

As in bough
As in through
As in rough






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"