The Finest Episcopal Church Deacon There Could Be.

Her name is Gwen Sears.

We met first in 1975 when she was one of the trainers at the former Camp Bement in the Diocese of Western Massachusetts.   There she (not yet ordained) prepared me and others for our  summer of service in that Diocese. I was, in American terms, in between my junior and senior years in Seminary .  

Her name is Gwen Sears.

That summer ended I returned to my studies at St. John's College, Nottingham, UK  (now closed). A year later, having graduated College; and being ordained Deacon in Bristol, U.K. I returned to the USA on July 6th 1976 to serve at the Church of the Good Shepherd in Fitchburg, MA (also now closed!).

Back in the States I encountered Gwen at various Diocesan events, and at an Episcopal Church General Convention in New Orleans where we had one of those memorable dinners, and began a friendship.

 By then she was The Revd. Gwen Sears, Deacon non pareil.

And so it was that I was blessed beyond measure when, upon becoming the Rector of St. Stephen's, Pittsfield, MA, Gwen became my colleague in ministry and friend.

We served together for sixteen years.  Gwen is not just a Deacon because of her vestments and service at the Altar and in the community.

She is a Deacon because of her heart.  She rates a very high place in the pantheon of Deacons  (together with the late Alan Rogers of  St. Boniface, Sarasota, FL).

Gwen Sears, now retired, lives at the Kimball Farms retirement community in Lenox, MA.

She was chosen to be in a Kimball Farms advertisement in the Berkshire Eagle newspaper.

Ain't this the most darn cool photo'!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"