Department Of Utter Stupidity.



I bought this Mantle Clock some forty years ago at (of all places) a J.C. Penney store in Holyoke, MA.  I have a yen for chiming clocks.

This one has four settings: Whittington Chimes; Westminster Chimes; St. Michael's (Charleston S.C.) Chimes; and Silent.

Four or so years ago I wound it up, but something went wrong.  The Clock ran and kept time, but the chimes were dead.

I let it run down, and then the clock sat mute on a Table.

Last year at a Ben's Bar in my home, my pal Gordon asked me why the clock never ran. I told him that the chimes were broken.  He told me about a Clock repair store on Bee Ridge Rd in SRQ.

I did nothing apart from moving the mute clock to my spare bedroom there to gather dust.

Today, perhaps because of COVID 19 boredom, I took the clock to the repair shop.  

The owner/staff member gave it a cursory look.  Within minutes she had identified the problem.

The clock was not chiming 'cause I had it set to the "silent" mode.

D U H

I asked her to slap my wrist -  which she did with glee! My visit was a freebie.

As for the store.  So many wonderful chiming clocks -  not enough money!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"