"USQUE BETHLEHEM" Words in the Middle of the Night

 


2:00 a.m. today.  Half awake, or half asleep?

Two words came into my mind. "Usque Bethlehem" Then a third. "Transeamus".

Transeamus Usque Bethlehem

I know not why the first three words of a German Christmas song would surface in my sleep.   I began to hum some of the tune.  Of course I had to find the song when I woke up.

It's a jolly tune, unlike the funeral dirge-like tune for "While shepherds watch their flock by night".

In Transeamus Usque Bethlehem we can imagine the shepherds dancing their way from the field to the manger.


Here are a couple of versions.

 https://youtu.be/MEfKotYv4nk


I love the way that two of the girls have a smile fest!


https://youtu.be/kVxPNZiimRk


A very plucky orchestra.


Transeamus usque Bethlehem
Et videamus hoc verbum quod factum est.
Mariam et Joseph et Infantem positum in praesepio.
Transeamus, audiamus multitudinem
Militiae coelestis laudantium Deum,
Mariam et Joseph et Infantem
Positum in praesepio.
Gloria, Gloria in Excelsis Deo.
Gloria, Gloria et in terra pax hominibus.
Bonae voluntatis, et in terra pax.
Transeamus et videamus quod factum est.


Let us pass over unto Bethlehem, and let us see this Word, which was made, which the Lord hath shewn unto us.  And they went hastening: and they found Mary, and Joseph, and the Child placed in the manger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"