My Day of Grief and Anger. The Worst Single Day in U.K. History Since the End of WW II

 


The Union Flag flying upside down. (This is thought by some to be a sign of distress).

Flag not withstanding my native country has left the cooperation of the European Union, and opted for independence and the status of a minor player in European affairs  - a mere offshore island so to speak.  **

I am angry because the leadership of the Tory Party (Cameron, May, Johnson) has been little short of disastrous these past four years.

You shouldn't  make policy on the basis of populist  speeches. They did.

My grief  is rooted in the belief that cooperation and interdependence are always good in themselves; and are vital for the future of the planet.

My cynical side believes that both the U.S.A, and the U.K. has Governments and Leaders who are all in favour of cooperation, just so long as they are in charge. (A legacy of  their Colonialist and Imperialist histories?)

( e.g. The U.K. leaves the European Union; the U.S.A. quits the Paris Climate Accords, and the Asia Pacific Trade Agreement because they cannot call all the shots).

I had planned to visit my native land last September, but my trip was postponed to March 2021 because of COVID 19.   The plague has not abated so I have ruled out a March trip.

Maybe I will be able to go "home" in September 2021. But my homeland will not be the one from which I migrated in 1976, and have visited many times since.

The sheer stupidity of BREXIT leads me to believe that in 2021 I will return to a country in deep economic recession, with very high unemployment, and vastly increased poverty.

I grieve and I am angry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

**  "Offshore Island"  in a political not geographical sense.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"