It's not Mardi Gras, or Carnival. It's PANCAKE DAY

 The England of my youth was still culturally Protestant.  So we had no truck with the French Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday), or the Spanish Carnival (Farewell to Meat). None of that Catholic stuff!

But we knew about Shrove Tuesday and the custom of eating pancakes on that day. Mum would make a huge number of pancakes -  just once a year.

But it was not until I came to live in the U.S.A. that I realised that our U.K. Pancakes were in fact CREPES.

I learned it the hard way as I attended Church sponsored Pancake Dinners on Shrove Tuesday; then and there to eat the ghastly mess which Americans call Pancakes.  It's like eating a kitchen sponge drowned in Maple Syrup!

I wanted Crepes today.

With that in mind I stopped at the French owned and operated "C'est la Vie", on Main Street, SRQ. on my way home from my morning walk with Zion at Bayfront Park.

I knew enough to honour the French custom of  greeting the owner/waiter with "Bonjour, comment ca vas" before placing my order.

And to my surprise I was able to order two Crepes with lemon juice and sugar,  and a Cafe au Lait, in my school boy French.

Oh those Crepes!  Just like the "pancakes" Mum made all those years ago. 

Pretty darn good;  and the Coffee was splendid.


Crepes with sugar and lemon juice this morning. Just like Mum made on Pancake Day, but not quite as good as hers!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"