I Don't Like Chili,: a Food With a Cold Name and a Hot Flavour.

 Or so I thought; maybe because I'd never tried it.

Then I discovered Trader Joe's vegetarian "Harvest Chili".

Pretty durn good


Woe is me.  I discovered that it's a seasonal offering, and no longer available.

When I found this out my first instinct was to sit on the floor and stamp my feet.  Then I remembered that Zion was in the car.  (windows open, shady spot, 8:00 a.m.)  so it wasn't worth the risk of being carried out in a straight jacket. Prudence encouraged me to be patient until the autumn.

Then, even though I am no fan of fast food, I discovered that Wendy's has a delicious chili.


Small but sufficient serving for the princely sum of $2.78. A more than adequate lunch.

But truth to tell  there is a hidden cost for fast food inexpensive food.   It is the workers who pay that price,  The average (2021)  wage for for front line workers at Wendy's is $9 per hour.

That's a bit above the U.S.A. minimum wage, but it is way short of a living wage. 

There is scarcely a living soul in the U.S.A. who could pay rent, feed the children, run a car (essential given the lack of  public transportation), buy clothing, purchase health insurance   -   the list goes on - on a monthly pay of about $1500.  

That's the most that a front line worker at Wendy's (and other similar fast food joints) could hope to make, (even if a forty hour week was available).


My inexpensive fast food is subsidised by underpaid workers.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"