Memories of rationing

Rationing continued in Great Britain until well after the end of World War II. Clothing, foodstuffs, furniture - just about everything was rationed.

That great British standby “tea” was at a premium. Every leaf had to be imported.

Clothing was rationed, as was furniture under a national design known as Utility Furniture. People could purchase furniture only if they were newly weds, or if their home had been bombed.

Here is a typical ration allowance for 1948 - three years after the war’s end.




Bacon and Ham 2 oz. (57 gm) per person a fortnight

Cheese 1½ oz. (43 gm) a week

Butter/margarine 7 oz. (198 gm) a week

Cooking fats 2 oz. (57 gm) a week

Meat 1s. (5p) worth a week Sugar 8 oz. (227 gm) a week

Tea 2 oz. (57 gm) a week

Chocolates and sweets 4 oz. (113 gm) a week

Eggs No fixed ration: 1 egg for each ration book when available

Liquid milk 3 pints a week

Preserves 4 oz. (113 gm) a week

And these are the dates on which items came off ration.


July 1948 - Bread.
December 1948 - Jam.
October 1952 - Tea.
February 1953 - Sweets (Candy)
April 1953 - Cream.
March 1953 - Eggs.
September 1953 - Sugar.
May 1954 - Butter, cheese, margarine and cooking fats.
June 1954 - Meat and bacon.

So of course I remember some rationing, and ration books. It all seemed so normal at the time.

If my memory is correct sweets (candy) came off rationing for a while, and then was rationed again for a short while.

So I’ll take the February 1953 date (when I was 8, going on 9) for this memory.

It was a Sunday morning. My twin and I were walking to Eastville to visit Nanny Povey. We passed a “Newsagent, Confectionary and Tobacconist” shop on Bellevue Road. A sign outside said “Sweets off ration”. I had some pocket money.

But my family sternly forbade Sunday shopping. I discussed the matter with my twin, and with myself. Wisdom won and I entered the store to buy a Fry’s Five Boys Chocolate Bar.

But it was not for me. I was a people pleasing little bugger even then. It was for Mum. I remembered her stories about “Fry’s Five Boys”.

So after our visit with Nanny, I took the chocolate bar home to Mum. I was not chastised for shopping on a Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"