Things done and left undone

My friend T died yesterday. He and I are/were about the same age.

His death came too soon after Bruce’s death on Oct 2nd.

I first met T about ten years ago. I was a candidate for the Rectorship of a Parish in Ft. Myers, FL, and he was on the Search Committee. He was one of the two token liberals from an otherwise very conservative Parish.

I withdrew from that search, and it was just as well. Soon after they called a new Rector, the other liberal ran away with a prominent parish member. She and he have never been heard of since.

But T and I stayed in touch through the years. And we were each delighted when I retired to this neck of the woods last year.

The Rector whom they called is a most generous man. He asked me to “supply” for him earlier this summer, which I was honoured to do. That I did and T and I had a lovely lunch after service.

T was one of the saddest people I’ve ever met. Through a combination of a miserable up-bringing, some bad choices, and some rotten luck, his life was dominated with bad health and a multitude of neuroses. Nothing went right for T.

But he was always supported by the generous brother; by a a caring Rector; and by L (who grew up at St. Stephen’s, Pittsfield, and has a generous heart).

T went into liver failure about two weeks ago. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and I had planned to visit him. But I shilly-shallied about the 90 mile drive, and left it too late. He died before I got to see him. I wish that I had made a more determined choice to drive from SRQ to Ft. Myers. But I did not.

Our liturgical confession prays for forgiveness for “things done and left undone”. I left my visit to T “undone” and I am pissed off with myself.

Comments

  1. Prayers for T, his family of birth, and his family of choice, and all who loved and will miss him. I'm sorry you missed seeing him. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"