When it's hard to be good

I’ve been hanging my hat at two parishes. First at St. David’s, Englewood, where I help out twice a month. Second at St. Boniface, here in SRQ. I was not at all impressed with St. B’s on my first visit, but have grown to like it.

St. Boniface, with our Bishop’s permission, had invited Bishop Gene Robinson to give a series of lectures next January.

I was overjoyed, both for the Gospel message which Bishop Robinson gives and lives, and because he and I have been friends for about 25 years. We made plans to have lunch next January.

Then our Bishop, succumbing we believe to conservative pressure, has asked Bishop Gene Robinson to withdraw his consent to St. Boniface’s invitation. I heard about this earlier today.

I like our Bishop. His name is (The Rt. Revd.) Dabney T. Smith. He was pretty cool with me when I met him in order to be licenced to serve in the Diocese of South West Florida. I “outed myself” as a gay Priest, and it seemed to be “no problem” to him”.

So I felt pissed off when I heard this morning’s news. I am due to assist at St. David’s Englewood this Sunday, and Bishop Smith will be there.

My first instinct was to ‘phone St. David’s Rector, Arthur Lee, and tell him that I could not countenance being there with Bishop Smith (not because I disrespect his office, but because I feel angered at his decision to effectively block Bishop Gene Robinson’s visit).

But I held my fire. ‘Twas just as well, for later in the day I heard that Arthur Lee’s father had died. How dreadful if Arthur had received an angry e-mail me from me just after his father’s death.

So I’ll be there on Sunday. There for the people of God. There for Arthur and his wife, daughter and mother. There because a Bishop is a Bishop is a Bishop, even when I despise her/his decisions.

There because the following Scripture has dominated my mind all day. I quote it in the Authorised/King James Version, for that is how I committed it to memory.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Comments

  1. You don't know how sorry I am to hear that, because when I am in Bradenton visiting my niece, I have to find a church to attend in that diocese. I was hoping that Bishop Smith would make a difference there. It does not sound as if things have changed much, if any.
    I was there the Sunday after +Gene's approval by the General Convention. I personally witnessed the damage caused by the mandatory reading by every priest to every parish in the diocese of Bishop Lipscomb's letter on the subject.
    There were two couples who had gay children who had not been to church in many years who had been given hope by +Gene's approval. The priest was then in the position, during coffee hour, of having to do damage control. It was sad, indeed.
    Is there not some other place that Bishop Robinson could come and speak within the diocese, not officially connected to the diocese--a school or private convention facility so that those who wished to hear him could do so? I will pray for you and the Diocese of Southwest Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, you are doing a good thing. The quote from Philippians is one of my favorites, and it is lovely in the KJV.

    I'm so sad that Bishop Smith did this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on yer fer going, Michael. It's the right and good, and, thanks-be-to-God-cuz-we're-Anglican-for-God's-sake, proper thing to do.

    I will pray that God will give you a gracious word to share with 'His Nibs" in the sacristy before or between the services.

    Oh, and, thanks for the BOSOX emblem. It warmed the cockles of me heart, it did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire you for hanging in there. It's hard.

    I agree with your mantra, btw. Very good.

    lindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so sorry to hear this news, but your decision seems to be the right one. Perhaps there is a lesson for Bishop Smith in this? I hope I will meet Bishop Robinson some day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"