Gone to the dogs

I am not a great lover of animals. My Dad loved dogs, and my Mum hated cats, and I am somewhere in the middle.

I’ve had two cats and one dog. They were OK as pets go, but I never lavished them with attention. My brother Martyn and his wife Wendy had a retired Greyhound names “Misty”, and I grew very fond of her. But, then again, she did not live in my home!

Glen Oaks Ridge, where I live, is a 55+ community. This means that there are no children or young people in the neighbourhood, but there are a ton of dogs. And it is my duty to fawn over them.

Betty live across the street. She owns a Chihuahua named “Dauncey”. He is a barker. He does not care for people. When I walk at 6:00 a.m. and Betty is out, her “shushing” of Dauncey is noisier that the dog’s bark. I’ve bribed him with “doggie treats” so he no longer barks at me. But I am no more than a food supply. He will never like me (Ior anyone).

“Little Betty” lives around the corner. Her miserable pooch died, so she has just adopted an abounded mutt named “Cocoa”. She takes him for long walks which he loves, but he ignores all human beings. We are irrelevant to his nose.

Sarita owns “Gizmo”, a Belgian Griffon. He is the ugliest dog you could hope to see. Gizmo hated and despised me, and he showed this by completely ignoring me. How rude!

Then Gizmo changed his mind, and I became his hero. He rushes to me, and puts his head down so that I will tickle him behind his ears. He is so ugly, but I like the fact that he likes me!

“GiGi”is a little poodle with the softest coat. She is the shy and retiring one, and always defers to the other neighbourhood dogs. Her owner is “Miky” - one of the kindest women you could hope to meet. GiGi loves to see me, but only because I like his “mother”.

The “big dog on the campus” is “Kelsey”, a nice looking Westie. He is not big in size, but in prestige, and he knows it. His owner Barbara knows this. Kelsey is the dog to whom other dogs, (and human beings) defer.

Kelsey is crazy about my neighbour Ed. Bellon. This dog will sprint towards Ed, greeting him with a doggy song.

We were on the verge on a “neighbourhood incident” last week when Kelsey scooted past Ed. and came straight to me. But then Kelsey came to grips with his mistake, and retreated to greet Ed.

As I said, I am not crazy about pets. But I am sure pleased that these dogs like me!

Comments

  1. Hi Bro. It's odd that you should choose the subject of dogs, & your relationship to them, as yesterday Wendy & I were talking of exactly the same thing, & of your fondness of Misty/her fondness of you.

    Keep it up Bro, (thats if you can still get it up)

    M.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"