It's a great time of year.....

Is that time of year when we who live in South West Florida vest ourselves with a self satisfied smile, and say “this is why I moved to Florida”.

In short, the weather is gorgeous. It was in the 80’s yesterday, without a trace of humidity. In Pittsfield, MA where I once served it was in the 20’s, and in Bristol, U.K., where I grew up, it was in the 40’s.

I am writing at 5:00 a.m. and the outdoor temperature is 72. That’s good for me, and especially good for my homeless friends who sleep in the woods.

Just outside my back window is a lovely orchid tree. Its branches, swathed in purple flowers attract monarch butterflies. There’ll be more next year as the “butterfly friendly” plants I put in a few months ago begin to settle in and blossom.

The old vine at the front of my home was long since past its best, so I dug it out and replaced it with three hibiscus bushes, each with a different coloured flower. They are in bloom, as are the chrysanthemums and geraniums in the little garden area alongside the car port. So too are some irises which have big leaves, long stems and oh so tiny yellow flowers.

It’s a great time of year to be in South West Florida.

Comments

  1. Your flowers are gorgeous!

    Your reminder about the weather and the homeless brought to mind a Mary Gauthier song - "Christmas in Paradise." We'll have to send you that cd. She's a wonderful artist, but definitely on the darker, more somber side of the musical spectrum. Christmas in Paradise is about homeless folks in Florida, who live under a bridge. I think I have her linked on my blog, if you wanted to check out her music.

    We need to set a long weekend to come visit this spring! I'll be e-mailing you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"