The social behaviour of cats

It’s commonly believed that cats are “independent” animals who are not interested in social behaviour.

This belief is being questioned by social scientists whose research show that cats are indeed social creatures, and that they are not the “aloof lone-rangers” of common cat lore.

My anecdotal “evidence” suggests that this is so.

Ada and Adelaide spend a lot of time together. They will often lick, sniff, or “kiss” each other.

Mostly Ada is the “Alpha”, but Adelaide can also take this role. Of course my job is to be the constant “top cat”.


Adelaide spends a lot of time on my Lanai. When I am in the house she will wander towards me, then “miaow” constantly until I follow her to the Lanai and tickle her ears. Then she is “content”. She seems to need my presence for a while.

Ada love to be on my bed, next to the computer desk. As I work away she will frequently rouse herself, stroll across the bed, and “bat” me until I give her my attention.

I try not to project my thoughts and feelings onto this feline behaviour. And I’ll be the first to admit that I have grown “dotty” about the presence of these two cats in my home.

But it does seem to be that the cats have achieved some level of social behaviour with me and with each other.

What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"