1 of 2 for March 22nd

Not by plane, but by road.

On Saturday 21st I took off early afternoon to be present at the funeral for the Revd. R. Bruce Ryan, a retired Priest who hung out at St. David’s, Englewood, FL (where I used to assist).

Bruce died at aged 80. He was very conservative in his theology. He and I would have disagreed on so many Church “issues” - but for the fact that Bruce had the most generous of hearts.

So we never had to disagree - we simply cared for each other for the right reasons and did not fight with each other for the wrong reasons.

I left St. David’s and headed down to Fort Myers FL where I was “supply Priest” for the weekend at St. Hilary’s Church.

En route I was dazzled (and almost drove off the road) as I witnessed the performance of the U.S. Navy “Blue Angels” who were part of the Port Charlotte, FL Air Show.

These pilots are the tops. They are based in Pensacola, FL - the retirement home town of my good friends Barbara and Don Hauler.

St. Hilary’s is a neat parish and I enjoy “supplying” there. As a great bonus my former Cambridge Parishioner, “Dennie” Bolis was there, with her daughter Janice. We enjoyed lunch after the third service this morning.


St. Hilary’s has a Saturday evening Eucharist, and three Sunday morning Eucharists. It is a tiring schedule.

(And I was bored with my sermon (see below) when I preached it for the 4th time at the 11:00 a.m. Eucharist!)


I was so very weary as I drove to my home this afternoon (a journey of about 75 miles, north of Ft. Myers) on Interstate 75.

But the people of St. Hilary’s are cool - so it was with a good weariness that I arrived home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"