Thunderstorms: G-d and me



(Image from NASA)

My good friend Ben invited me to dinner tonight, and I was glad to accept. He is a funny and truthful pal. He is also a good cook!


As I sat on his Lanai before dinner I heard rumbles of thunder in the distance. I enjoyed this sound. It brought back some good memories.


English children of my generation were told that the sound of thunder was caused by the delivery of coal in heaven. I s’pose we were told this so as not to be afraid. In fact, I (and probably most other children) knew that this was a silly tale, and we sensed that we should be nervous in the face of thunderstorms cos our parents were nervous.


I wonder what English children are told these days. They have never seen or burned coal, let alone witnessed its delivery.



I learned to enjoy thunder and lightning storms. I remember cuddling in a car with my girl friend Jan back in about 1965. We were in rural Worcestershire, and had stopped in the face of heavy rain as a massive thunderstorm. As we cuddled we revelled in the sights and sounds of the storm.


(Jan was a wonderful woman and I loved her greatly. But I knew that we could never be married as I would ever be tempted to be unfaithful - but with a man.)



My lovely dog “Penne” is totally unafraid in the face of thunder and lightning. For that I am grateful.
And I truly enjoy thunderstorms! We had a massive one on Wednesday night (bringing much needed rain)


English children of my age were told about the delivery of coal.


A much earlier generation saw violent thunderstorms as a sign of the majesty of G-d. One of the most poetic descriptions of such a storm is found in the Psalm below. It is one of my favourites.


Thunder and lightning storms are like sex. They are a fabulous mixture of beauty and danger.
=================================


Psalm 29 (Book of Common Prayer version)


Ascribe to the LORD, you gods, *ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.

Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his Name; *worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

The voice of the LORD is upon the waters;the God of glory thunders; *the LORD is upon the mighty waters.

The voice of the LORD is a powerful voice; *the voice of the LORD is a voice of splendor.

The voice of the LORD breaks the cedar trees; *the LORD breaks the cedars of Lebanon;

He makes Lebanon skip like a calf, *and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.

The voice of the LORD splits the flames of fire;the voice of the LORD shakes the wilderness; *the LORD shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.

The voice of the LORD makes the oak trees writhe *and strips the forests bare.

And in the temple of the LORD *all are crying, "Glory!"

The LORD sits enthroned above the flood; *the LORD sits enthroned as King for evermore.

The LORD shall give strength to his people; *the LORD shall give his people the blessing of peace.


Comments

  1. As children we were told that thunder was just the angels bowling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"