The Welsh have a word for it

Hiraeth is a Welsh word that has no direct English translation; an approximation would be the longing, or yearning for home.

I translate Hiraeth as “wistfulness”.


The following Noel Coward song, and the photo’ attached evoke in me such a wistfulness, such an Hiraeth that I could weep.

I believe in doing what I can
In crying when I must
In laughing when I choose
Hey ho, if love were all
I should be lonely.

I believe the more you love a man,
The more you give your trust,
The more you're bound to lose.

Although when shadows fall
I think if onlySomebody splendid really needed me
Someone affectionate and dear
Cares would be ended if I knew that he
Wanted to have me near.
But I believe that since my life began
The most I've had is just a talent to amuse.

Hey ho, if love were all


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"