When someone cares

This morning I spent an hour or so with my colleague the Revd. Andi (Andrea) Taylor. We talked about so many of those things which are important in our professional and personal lives. And we prayed together.

It was a blessed time.

As George Elliot is reputed to have written:

“Oh the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person,
Having never to weigh thoughts or measure words,
But pour them all out, just as they are –
Grain and chaff together -
Knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them.
Then, keep what is worth keeping,
And with the breath of kindness – blow the rest away.”


I called my brother Stephen on his 57th birthday. As ever, it was good to refresh our filial love.

I had a long chat with my friend Joe, in London. We had serious moments, and we got to be silly.

Joe and his girl friend were about to go for dinner at a Sushi Bar.

I asked him if it was a “Chi-Chi Sushi Bar”, and if it was next door to a “Chi-Chi Shoe Shine Stall”.


“Yes”, he replied – and there is also a “Chi-Chi Sea Shell Store”.

Try these silly tongue twisters. I hope that you will giggle as much as Joe and I did.

What is cool is that I could dial my brother direct. 30 years ago the call would have been via a Telephone Operator.

Joe and I talked using “Skype” with Video. We could see each other.
Do you remember the days when Video-calling was a far off dream?



Later in the afternoon I walked with my dog (Penne). I went to the home of my very good friend Ben, now 86 or 87 years old. I had worried all day since I had not heard from him.

I told him of my concern. He was grateful for this, and countered that he too worries about me.


When you live alone it is good to know that someone else cares.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"