HUMA - WONDER - PARSNIPS AGAIN


HUMA
In my sermon last Sunday I ventured to say that many folks say “I’m fine” when they really want to say “go to hell”.
One worshiper, as he exited, said:  “Thanks for your sermon Michael.  I am fine”
I replied: “go to hell”.
Then we both doubled over in laughter.
WONDER
Before Church I chatted with an Acolyte.  She is in the fourth grade.  She told me about her weekend homework science project.  It involved checking the enzyme levels from a piece of raw liver when it is bathed in hydrogen peroxide.  For goodness sake - this is amazing. 
When I was in fourth grade I was just learning cursive (“joined-up”) writing, and had received absolutely no education in any of the sciences.
PARNSIPS AGAIN
I have re-discovered parsnips. I am on the cusp of being obsessed with them. (I roasted some for dinner tonight -  together with carrots, onions and chicken thighs).
As I was checking out at a Publix Supermarket yesterday, the woman in line behind me saw the parsnips in my shopping basket and asked “are those some kind of carrot?”
I disabused her of that notion, and then I launched into a peroration on the virtues of parsnips, and gave her many suggestions regarding the ways to cook them.
With hindsight I’ll guess that I gave her too much information!  But those who are near and dear to my heart will never, ever “diss” parsnips.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"