Four essential people

Kate is a wonderful woman who comes to my home once a month to clean it. She is one of the best, and after her monthly four hour stint, my home is cleaner than clean. I always plan to be out of the home on her “morning” so that she can dust, vacuum, dry and wet mop without interruption.

Peggy runs a pest exterminating business here in Sarasota. She comes to my home four times a year to “spray” with insect and bug deterrents. (She uses pet-safe and environmentally friendly products).

Claudette is a friend from New York State who is at this moment visiting here in Florida, and staying with my good pal Ben. After an illustrious academic career in Manhattan she had planned for a good retirement with her life partner Doris. But Doris died from the effects of cancer. Rather than sit on the pity-pot, Claudette re-invented herself and now owns a small farm near Pittsfield, MA and Albany, NY. There she grows “heritage” tomatoes and beans, and bakes bread. She has a seasonal farm-stand, and also sells excellent produce to restaurants in her neck of the woods.


Laurel is one of the co-owners of a business known as Florida Native Plants in Myakka, not far from my home. I love to go there either to purchase plants which are Florida natives, or to chat with Laurel.

 http://www.floridanativeplants.com/


Kate was cleaning my home this morning, whilst I was at St. Boniface Church for the Tuesday Eucharist and clergy bible study, after which I had lunch with Larry, a fabulous retired Roman Catholic Priest.

Peggy came to my home at 1:00 p.m. to spray for an infestation of fleas which has been bothering my cats and my dog. She warned me in advance that I’d have to evacuate the house for four hours following the anti-flea treatment.

This meant that I, with the pets, would have to be out of the house from 9:00 – 5:00. I put my dear cats (with food and water), into my utility and laundry room, which is discrete and separated from the rest of the house. From 9:00 – 5:00 my dog, Penne was with my good dog-sitter Ron.

After lunch I drove Claudette to the Florida Native plants nursery where I bought some plants to replace those which had been killed in our unusual Florida deep freeze. Claudette and Laurel chatted about “heritage” crops in New York State and in Florida.

The sum of this is that I had a most wonderful and useful day thanks to the work and wisdom of Kate, Peggy, Claudette and Laurel.

What do these four people have in common?

(Hint ..they are not male!)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"