A wolf and a tuba

At about 2:00 a.m. last Tuesday (16th March 2010) I awoke with the music called “Peter and the Wolf” running through my mind.


I had not heard this piece in “oh so many years”, yet I could clearly hear the opening theme. In my semi-somnolent state I thought that it was written by Tchaikovsky.


That memory took me back some 60 years to when Miss Lucy Fenlon, headmistress of Greenbank Infants School had us sit on the wooden floor of the school hall to listen to “Peter and the Wolf”. I was probably aged 6, and this was one of my early encounters with classical music.


Next, in these wee hours on Tuesday I remembered the silly and lovely bit of music called “Tubby the Tuba” see


http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7832527543874914097#


That is another bit of music from my childhood which I had not thought about in years. The video above is from the original 1947 version which I had never seen before, (ain’t ‘YouTube’ wonderful!).


Why, oh why should I remember these pieces of music at 2:00 a.m. on 16th March 2010 --- all those years after I had first heard them?


Who knows? But “hear” and remember them I did!


This evening I was listening to the radio. This is unusual for me for I generally prefer the silence of my home. My wandering ears jumped in to focus when I heard that the next piece of music to be played was ... “Peter and the Wolf”. Of course it is by Prokofiev not Tchaikovsky.


It was fun to hear the music again - so odd since I had long since forgotten it, that is until the wee hours of Tuesday morning.


(I wrote this entry on 18th March 2010, and then fell asleep at my desk before I had posted it to my blog!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"