Punt a gorda

I am off to Punt a Gorda on Sunday December 5th 2010.  

Whoops: -  “Punt a Gorda” sounds like a sport on a river in Oxford or Cambridge, U.K.

In truth I will be driving sixty or so miles south of my home, to the City of Punta Gorda in Charlotte County, FL.  There I will be at the (Episcopal) Church of the Good Shepherd.


It will be my pleasure to preach, and to lead the congregations in celebrations of Holy Communion at 8:00 and 10:00 a.m.

Four and a half years into retirement I find it more difficult than ever to prepare sermons.  I suspect that when I was a Rector I “knew the people”, and could bring that understanding to my sermon prep.  It’s much harder when I have to write a sermon which will be addressed to strangers.

But “I have written what I have written”.  I trust that what I say will be faithful to the Gospel, and will “speak” to God’s people at Good Shepherd.

Here’s a bit about Punta Gorda itself.


After the services I will have lunch with Lisa and Chris Kelly who live in Ft. Myers, (about 15 miles south of Punta Gorda).  I officiated at their wedding some 15 years ago, in Pittsfield, MA.  They are a delightful couple and it will be a joy to see them after all these years.

I’ll be leaving my home on Sunday at about 6:30 a.m., and will not get back again until mid-afternoon.  So Penne is with her dog sitters Ron and Lee for the night.  When I left her there, at about 5:00 p.m. today, she tried to leave with me.  I had that “leaving my child in school for the first day” feeling!

But I know that Penne will be just fine overnight.  She has previously stayed with Ron and Lee and once I am out of sight and smell she settles down beautifully.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"