Saturday, 20 August 2011

Mundaneities


Christian prayer often seems to be a matter of giving good advice to God. God is probably responding: my dearly beloved, I do not need your advice.  I simply want you to listen to the heart-beat of the universe”. 



  I found a little snake in my home today.  It was no more than 2 ½ inches long.  I think that it came in out of the rain.


 I am preaching at the 8:00 and 10:00 Eucharists tomorrow (Aug 21st 2011) at St. Boniface Church.  

When I began to preach (at aged 16 years) I was filled with certainties about God, Jesus and the Bible.

51 years later I have fewer certainties. Maybe my preaching is better.

But it’s much harder to put a sermon together than it used to be.



  I was chatting with a local handyman on Friday last.  I told him that I am 68 years old.    As he drove away I remembered that I am “only” 67!



In a moment of “hurry” I bought a barbecued chicken at my local “Publix” supermarket earlier today.  Boy  -  was it over-cooked and dry. I redeemed a bit of it for my supper, wrapping it in soft tortillas with a bit of sour cream, some excellent chopped up “heritage” tomato, and some delicious Florida avocado. I’ll use the balance to make chicken salad – that should moisten it up enough.



 I am blessed to share my home with a dog called Penne.  She is a mutt: part retriever and part terrier.  She has the sweetest disposition.  Neither thunder nor lightning bother her.  And when I have to give her a pill she opens her jaws quite willingly, and then swallows it down as I massage her throat.

My brother Stephen celebrated his 59th birthday on August 18th 2011. He is a good guy, and we had a nice chat that day. 

Stephen is the third in line of my four younger brothers. 


1 comment:

  1. Don't fret to much about getting your age wrong, it's when you confuse Steve with Penne that you need to start worrying

    ReplyDelete