Chef Povey?

I took myself down to the Sarasota County Technical Institute this afternoon for a programme at their Adult and Community Enrichment (ACE) programme.

I was there for a “Hands on Culinary Arts Lab” -  i.e. a cooking lesson. 

The facilitator was Chef Brian Knecht.  

There were about sixteen of us in his “class”.

We students worked in pairs (my partner was Joyce – a very pleasant “snow bird” from Montreal, Quebec).


Chef Brian led us as we prepared two dishes –

Firstly:  an entree (main course) dish called “Chicken Chorizo Basquaise” (from the Basque regions of France and Spain).

Secondly: “Toasted Israeli Couscous” (with Pine Nuts, Raisins and Parsley).

We were in a very hi-tech kitchen.  Brian was a good instructor.  Joyce was an extremely companionable partner.

And we got to take our dishes home!

We’ll all be together again next week for a second lesson in which we will prepare a vegetarian dish, and Baba Ghanoush.

I enjoyed the “buzz” of the class.

 I learned some good skills from Chef Brian. 

I liked my cooking partner.


The modest fee for the two classes (including all the ingredients) was $59.

The ACE programmes are a great example of our tax dollars at work (with a little help from our fees).

I had fun.

I cooked some "pretty good" food.

 I experienced the fruits of local government at their best.

Comments

  1. Having enjoyed some of Chef Povey's creations, I can attest that your cooking is quite delicious! (And healthy, as well.) :)

    Susan H.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"