Monday, 20 February 2012

Soup: the meal which keeps on giving. Not for children

I made a batch of onion, cabbage and tomato soup last week: ‘tis both delicious and nutritious.

Sautee half a large,[ or one small] cut up Spanish or sweet onion, together with one or two chopped cloves of garlic and  a wee drop of olive oil  in a dutch oven or heavy bottomed sauce pan until the onion is transparent.  


Add a cup of chicken or vegetable stock.  


Then add half a cabbage – diced coarsely, with four or five chopped up plum tomatoes: Season a bit with salt, ground red pepper, (or cumin). 


Bring to a boil, and then cover the pan, and simmer for no more than 20 minutes.  


(Now it’s ready!)


So I made this soup for lunch last week:  indeed it was enough for four days’ worth of lunch for one person.

After two days I added a bit of   Baba Ganoush which was left over from my cooking class last Thursday, giving the soup a certain “zing”.

By this morning there was still about two cups of this soup yet uneaten.  On the principle of using up all leftovers, I added some more - in this case a bit of spinach which was lingering in my fridge.

All this gave birth to a good breakfast.

Yes, my breakfast this morning was a bowl of soup. 

Why not!  


(But don't try this on your children).





No comments:

Post a Comment