Soup: the meal which keeps on giving. Not for children

I made a batch of onion, cabbage and tomato soup last week: ‘tis both delicious and nutritious.

Sautee half a large,[ or one small] cut up Spanish or sweet onion, together with one or two chopped cloves of garlic and  a wee drop of olive oil  in a dutch oven or heavy bottomed sauce pan until the onion is transparent.  


Add a cup of chicken or vegetable stock.  


Then add half a cabbage – diced coarsely, with four or five chopped up plum tomatoes: Season a bit with salt, ground red pepper, (or cumin). 


Bring to a boil, and then cover the pan, and simmer for no more than 20 minutes.  


(Now it’s ready!)


So I made this soup for lunch last week:  indeed it was enough for four days’ worth of lunch for one person.

After two days I added a bit of   Baba Ganoush which was left over from my cooking class last Thursday, giving the soup a certain “zing”.

By this morning there was still about two cups of this soup yet uneaten.  On the principle of using up all leftovers, I added some more - in this case a bit of spinach which was lingering in my fridge.

All this gave birth to a good breakfast.

Yes, my breakfast this morning was a bowl of soup. 

Why not!  


(But don't try this on your children).





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"