Saturday, 24 November 2012

Superfluity and memory

Memory is so odd.

* It is random.

* It springs up without advance notice.

* Who knows how it is triggered?

For example  as I was walking with Penne on Thanksgiving morn I, all out of the blue, recalled these words from the King James/Authorized version of the Christian Bible (first published in  1611)



"lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness" ( James 1:21)


WOW 1


From where did this memory spring?

WOW 2

There is a deliciousness in  17th C English which has all but disappeared from 21st C speech and writing. 

It  is a lovely, poetic and evocative phrase.

WOW 3

I often love to be naughty.  I would be more than glad to partake in a "superfluity of naughtiness".

WOW 4

Care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment