Thanksgiving Day 2012: Menage a trois? Non, non. Repas pour trois




I promised to myself that I would not go to any store on Thanksgiving Day.   It’s not that I am likely to rush off to the late opening (bogus) “sales”, but I have been known to go to the local supermarket to get this or that.

I made this promise for a couple of reasons.

 Firstly: as a wee act of solidarity with the retail sales clerks/assistants/associates that have to work on holidays, when they should surely be allowed an un-interrupted day with friends or family.

Secondly: to free myself from the tyranny of what I call recreational shopping - a habit of many retirees who have “nothing better to do”.

I kept my promise. There was a minute of wavering when I realised that I needed some corn starch to thicken up the gravy.

Would I drive a mile to the store to buy some?  No, I remembered that my good neighbour Jean almost certainly had corn starch in her pantry, and that she would give me a couple of tablespoons worth.  That she gladly did.

My dog Penne loved the day. Her “Papa” was at home all day – so there was plenty of time for long walks
.
I enjoyed the peace and quiet. I enjoyed a day with no need or reason  to use my car.

All this allowed me plenty of time to prepare dinner.

The menu included pork shoulder which a cooked in a crock pot – five hours on “low”. It came out moist and juicy.

I made roasted carrots, onions, green peppers, mushrooms and sweet potatoes

 I cheated a bit and included some “Trader Joe’s” frozen roasted white potatoes.

The gravy came from the meat juices with some puréed pearl onions (and a bit of cornstarch!).

I also steamed some pole beans and sugar snap peas, ........and baked a dressing (made from a box – “the famous-in-the-U.K.” Paxo brand sage and onion stuffing mix – available at our local British Goods store).

All of this preparation was in order to entertain my guests from Bristol U.K.  – my first cousin Janet and her partner Steve, - who are at their timeshare on nearby Longboat Key.

We had a lovely unhurried and relaxed time together.   It was probably “all the better” because there were but three of us.

Steve and Janet professed to enjoy my meal.

I delighted in their company.

Dessert was simple:- some “Key Lime Pie” ice-cream from “Fresh Market”, with delicious macaroons from the same store.

It was one of my best Thanksgivings in so many years.

Peace. Quiet. No shopping.  A good meal.  Good company
.

Who could ask for anything more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"