Actors and Priests: Theatre and Liturgy.


My good pal Ben and I went to see a production of Wm. Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night” at Sarasota’s Asolo Repertory Theatre this afternoon.

I know very little about theatre, but when the actor who played Duke Orsino spoke the very first lines of the play “If music be the food of love, play on..” I guessed that there might be a problem.

“Something” did not seem right.

Ben has spent a lifetime in and around professional theatre.

At the intermission (I called this “half past twelve -  bad joke!), he began to expound about the shortcomings of this particular production. I respected his professional judgment.


So we quit, and went home.


As I thought about this I “knew” from where Ben was coming.

For you see, as a retired Priest I often cringe at the sloppy, casual, or unfocused ways in which various Priests in various parishes lead the liturgy.  My professional judgement is offended, and I often want to get up and leave, (I did so once).

It’s not that I am “better” than those Priests.

It’s more like what happens when an electrician sees faulty wiring, a plumber sees lazily installed joints, a bricklayer has to re-do poor work.

As “pros” we actors, priests, plumbers, electricians and bricklayers want to do our very best.

 So we are dismayed when others in our skill-sets seem ready to settle for sloppiness and second best.


Since my retirement (2006) I have attended at least nineteen places of worship in the Episcopal Church.

In some of them the liturgy has been abysmally presented;

in others the liturgy has been mediocre.

In a few the liturgy has been good.

In three the liturgy has been excellent. 

They were:

1. Trinity Church, Wilmington DE where I happened to be in late 2006.

2. The Cathedral in St. Petersburg FL where I was for the funeral of the wife of the Bishop of South West Florida.

3. The Cathedral of St. Phillip in Atlanta GA where I was for the ordination of my friend Tracy Wells Miller.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Good actors and good Priests are similar. We long for excellence in our “shows”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"