Friday, 11 October 2013

Don't worry - you probably do not have Altzheimer's disease.

Folks of my generation (early baby boomers)  sometimes make mistakes regarding engagements and appointments.

For instance -  I thought that I was to have lunch with my friends Barbara and Kay on Thursday, and with my friend Muriel today.

Turns out that it was the other way round -  i.e.  Thursday with Muriel, and today with B and K.

In the event I was alerted to my mistaken thoughts because Muriel telephoned to confirm our Thursday arrangement.

Was my mistake  a sign of Alzheimer's Disease? 

Stuff and nonsense!  It was no more or less than an indication that in retirement I check my calendar less often than when I was working  and in the midst of things.

IN A SIMILAR VEIN -  I had written in my calendar that the Sarasota "Pride" Festival was on Oct 12th.  I had promised to staff the St. Boniface Church (Sarasota) booth between noon and 2:00.p.m.

As I "talked this up" with my lesbian and gay pals I was shocked to discover  that they had heard nothing about a Pridefest on Oct 12th.

With that in mind I did a web search and discovered that the 2013 Sarasota Pridefest is on Oct 19th, not Oct 12th.

Was my mistake  also a  sign of Alzheimer's Disease?   

Stuff and nonsense!  It was no more or less than an indication  that it is all too easy to make typing errors -  e.g. 12th instead of 19th.

Many of us made these same errors in the days of "Selectric" typewriters.

.........................................................................................................................................

HERE ARE MY TWO "anecdotal" points.

1. When we were young we often forgot the dates and times of events, but we did not panic about this: - we simply relied on the memories of our nearest and dearest family members and friends.

2. Every single person I have known who developed "full-blown" Alzheimer's Disease had been extremely "vague around the edges" in their fifties and sixties.

==============================

Hugsfromjmp.  All is well!





No comments:

Post a Comment