My coffee this morning with the Archbishop

I enjoyed coffee this morning with Lord and Lady Carey who have been visiting Sarasota from their home in Newbury, U.K.

Lord Carey is also known as the Most Reverend George L Carey.  He was the Archbishop of Canterbury between 1991 and 2002.

I know the Careys better as George and Eileen.  George was one of the Tutors (professors in American parlance) at St. John's Theological College in Nottingham U.K. where I was student between 1972 and 1976.

George went on from St. John's to be the Vicar of St. Nicholas Church in Durham, U.K. , then Principal of Trinity Theological College in my home City of Bristol, then Bishop of Bath and Wells, and finally what we call the ABC  - the Archbishop of Canterbury.

I last saw the Careys in 1999 when I happened to be in England and was able to attend a student and staff reunion in Nottingham.

The Archbishop and his wife have been in the area for a series of events and some preaching at the Church of the Redeemer, a High Church (and thriving) parish in downtown Sarasota.

I rarely attend there because they do not allow the ministry of ordained women.  I set that on one side and took myself to Redeemer for the 9:00 Eucharist yesterday (9th December 2013).

By a stroke of absolute luck I found myself to be in the same pew as Eileen Carey.  Wow!   She and I had a good chat after the service (the Archbishop had been taken on a whistle stop tour of Sunday School classes).

I discovered that the Careys wanted to do a bit of Christmas shopping this morning, so I met them at their hotel and drove them to the nearest Mall.  There we stopped for coffee at Starbucks, and had a gabfest as we caught up with all the news of our lives.

I was never particularly close to George and Eileen at St. John's. But we had a joyous and very loving time together this morning.  That was good!

The attached photo' was taken by a member of the front desk staff at the Hotel.  He took so long to take the pic that I lost my ear to ear grin.  That's why I look so solemn, or as one of my English friends said by e-mail earlier this evening "like prisoner 76448 between two guards!"



Comments

  1. Wonderful Michael, so glad you had this time with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had this time with them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mum would have been so proud.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"