I was beside myself with worry on Sunday night: Truly I was in a state of panic.







At 6:30 p.m. on Sunday 23rd August 2015 I took my dog Penne out for a a "pee walk".

Evidently I had not secured the clip on her harness.  Thus she was able slip away from me, and disappear from my sight.

I searched for her and called her name.  I  could not see her, nor did she respond to my calls.

I was not too worried, thinking that she would come home within minutes.

By 7:30 p.m   my Penne was still absent. I began to get very anxious.

I went outside, and once again I searched for her and called her name, all in vain

I wondered: "did she chased after a Fox and got lost, or did she corner a Raccoon or Possum, and get into in a fight?".

By  8:30 p.m  she was still not at home.

I drove the neighbourhood, tracing the routes we take on our daily walks.  There was no sign of Penne.  By this time I was panicking

Had she been injured?  Was she lost?  Would I ever see her again?

Dammit, I was not panicking, I was freaking out with worry.

I knew that I would be unable to sleep, but I rested on my bed.  At 9:30 p.m. Penne came trotting into our house, all nonchalant, as if to say "no problem Dad".

Of course I lavished her with hugs.

In the meantime, with the doors wide open, "Miss prissy,stay-at-home" senior cat Ada had gotten outdoor,  Oddly enough, "Miss let-me-out-of here to explore" junior cat Adelaide stayed inside,

Adelaide yowled me to the back door three times. I followed dutifully, thinking that Ada might be there. 'Twas not the case.

With Penne safely back at home, I shut the doors and took myself to bed.  At 3:00 a.m. on Monday  I got  up to use the bathroom.  I decided to open the front door.  Ada shot inside, like a feline cannon ball.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Monday morning Ada would not let me out of her sight.  She even came to gaze at me adoringly as I sat enthroned in the bathroom.

Later, I went outside to do some weeding. Behind one of the shrubs  I noticed a large hole in the ground, sure evidence of canine digging.

I came to the conclusion that Penne had been there all the time. I guessed that on the hottest day of the year, she had done what dogs do -  she had dug herself a nest in the cooler earth, there to rest until she decided to come home at 9:30 p.m.

Maybe she had been within sight for those three hours -  within sight, but I did not see her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"