Snores, snarls and other matters

I am a very restless sleeper.  So restless that I dare not share a hotel room with another, lest his/her sleep be disturbed by my antics.

Last night  (Sunday 15th)  I took to my bed at 8:30 p.m. I was asleep within minutes.  I awoke at 11:15 p.m. for a bathroom visit.  Back in bed, I slept undisturbed until 4:30 a.m.

WOW  almost eight hours of good sleep. What a gift! No wonder there was a spring in my step when I walked with Penne at 6:00 a.m.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of Penne.  She is so gentle.  She rarely growls.

My two cats show every sign of wanting to be good friends with Penne.  She "puts up" with this, and often defers to them.

Such was the case until yesterday.  I was seated at my desk. Penne and the cats were out of sight.

Then I heard Penne snarl (for the first time in seven years) and utter a loud angry bark. Juniour cat skid-addled out of the hallway, and hid under a table.  She was closely followed by Penne, her dander clearly up.

Oh my goodness.  Maybe Penne in her old age (14 years) has decided that she will no longer be gentle and placid with "the naughty cats".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Snow birds are leaving my neighbourhood and the Church I attend.  They are going  north for the summer.  They are older than I. They leave to enjoy their children, grand-children, and great grand-children who live north of the Mason/Dixon line.

This always makes me sad, Each year I wonder if I will see them again in late autumn or early winter, or will bad health or the grim reaper prevent their return,.

This applies especially to a nonogenarian couple B and V who live nearby.  I see them most mornings as we walk out. Just to see then brings a smile to my face. Most mornings we enjoy a cheerful chat,

On Friday they will return to West Virginia. They are hale and hearty, so I expect to see them in the latter part of 2016 or early 2017.

 But "you never know" so their departure always makes me sad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walk out a lot, and usually express cheerful greetings with other walkers. The other week I asked an older couple about the plantings in front of their fence. The plantings are not beautiful, but they are useful "fillers" for bare spaces.

Turns out that they are "Flax Lillies ".



I encountered this couple yesterday (Sunday)  morning at 9:30 a.m. as Penne and I walked after Church.

The wife asked me if I had bought any Flax Lillies.  I had not.

She said, "come on over on Monday and divide some of mine. They need to be thinned out"

 "What time will be  good?" I asked..

She said  "since it is 9:30 a.m. today  (Sunday)  why don't you come over at 9:30 a.m. on Monday?"

That timing was perfect and so, spade in hand, I was at her home this morning.  I dug out some divided plants. Within 30 minutes I had replanted them at my home, and given them a good hose  soaking.

If the weather forecast is accurate "Mother Nature" will provide a fair bit of rain later this week. That will help my new Flax Lillies to put down good roots, and to flourish.

"Mother Nature" apart I rejoice  in this old- fashioned way of life in which neighbors care and share.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"