Our Steve, and the problem of death.

How do we come to terms with the death of our nearest and dearest?

We  cannot (Unless we all too  readily accept the oft-times facile and simplistic "religious reasonings" about eternal life).

How do we come to terms with grief?

That's impossible.   (We must welcome grief, and allow it to become a part of who we are).

In the meantime we must allow ourselves to be grief-stricken, to be angry, and  to feel a sense of despair, helplessness and hopelessness when our nearest and dearest die.

My dear brother Steve died at the age of 63.  That's shitty.

Of course, the death of a younger brother should be shitty.

It's much too soon for me to be consoled.

I, with my other  siblings, together with  Steve's wife,children and grand-children are angry, sad and despairing.  The hope of eternal life in God;s presence is all very well,  but we'd prefer to have Steve with us here and now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beloved Steve.  

He was a fabulous husband, father and grandfather.

He was the best ever brother,

Steve hated to have his photo' taken.

Despite this one of his granddaughters, my niece Ebony took this candid of him.  I love it. It is "Steve par excellence"..

Steve's wife Angela made sure that copies were available to all of us after Steve's funeral.

I have a framed copy on my desk.

Here it is for you to see.

Savour it.   It's  "our Steve"as we all remember hum



Comments

  1. Your absolutely right, I think one of the dumbest expressions in the English language is "Closure".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"