The Publix Script has staff saying: "It's my pleasure". (He said it, but not at work).



My local Supermarket is a a branch of the Florida based "Publix" chain.


I have mixed feelings about Publix.

One the one hand their stores are bright and clean, with a fairly good array of produce, fish  and meats. It is believed that Publix treats its employees well.

On the other hand Publix has a virtual monopoly in Florida, holding  about 64 % of the Supermarket business, with the remaining 36% divided between  upscale stores such as Fresh Market, Trader Joe.
and Whole Foods, and the perennially failing Winn-Dixie.   I do not like monopolies and I wish that Publix had a more viable competitor.

When reaching the check out at Publix it is to be greeted with a well memorised script.

FIRST   "Did you find everything?". I sometimes say "no" just to get the cashier's attention. When asked why I said "no" I reply  "I was looking for the meaning of life but couldn't find it here"

SECOND  "Is plastic O.K?"  How I wish that the script was directed in favour of paper bags, or, even better in favour of cloth bags  (yep, I use them!)

THIRD  Just before leaving the check-out, having thanked the clerk he or she will say "It's my pleasure".

TUESDAY of this week was a quiet day at my local Publix, so I asked the cashier  (a High-Schooler) if he ever utters the script in his sleep.

He doesn't believe so, but he once, when thanked by one of  his parents for taking care of a chore he replied (to their amusement), "It's my pleasure".

He did the same in the classroom  when a teacher thanked him for some reason or other. His class mates were "tickled pink"  and burst into laughter when they heard him say "It's my pleasure".

His embarrassment was mitigated a wee bit when a class-mate explained that he too worked for Publix and has those three words at the tip of his tongue too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"