What's in your way?



At the west end of our property (Glen Oaks Ridge) there is a bit of spare land, which separates us from the neighbouring Glen Oaks Manor.

We call it "no man's land", but in truth it belongs to us, The lore is that the City had once planned for this land to be an extension of a local road).

As it is, it is a semi wild buffer between the neighbourhoods.

We (Glen Oaks Ridge) used to have a fence which ran north and south of the above sign. We tore it down because it served no practical or aesthetically purpose.

There used to be a gap just to the south (left) of the sign - a way through for us and our neighbors

The fence is gone, the gap is no longer needed.

But Penne, (my dog) insists on walking to the left of the sign, as if the fence was still there.

Which leads me to ask, "are their barriers to our emotional and spiritual growth which used to be there, but which have long since disappeared?"

When that is the case, why do we live as if the barriers (fences) were still there?

I am reminded of the man (in his sixties)  who used to come to me for counseling. His narrative was unchanging:   all his problems were because of his father.

One day I could not hold myself back.  I YELLED (how unprofessional!)  "He is dead.  He can't do that anymore".

The man was a bit like Penne.   He was "seeing" a fence which was no longer there.

This leads me back to you (and to me) to the questions:

"are their barriers to our emotional and spiritual growth which used to be there, but which have long since disappeared?"

When that is the case, why do we live as if the barriers (fences) were still there?
'



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"