Adieu (or good riddance)





Some will remember that I had a scary incident last month whilst driving my 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe. I was driving west from Beneva on Bee Ridge Rd when the car developed a malevolent mind of its own and began a uncontrollable acceleration.

At a bit of a risk to myself and to cars being driven east on Bee Ridge I shot left into Nelson Ave, and then into the Church of the Palms parking lot where I turned off the ignition and applied the emergency brake.  I skidded to a halt, with no damage except to my rattled nerves.

This sudden acceleration has happened three or four times since, but it was not until my return from the U.K. that I was able to have the car checked at my local and totally reliable Sam's Auto Repairs on 17th St/Lockwood Ridge Rd.

The Manager (a really decent bloke) check various auto forum sites and discovered that this problem has happened to other Hyundai Cars; that there is no known fix; and that Hyundai has not ordered a recall, suggesting that this is an "operator problem".

See this from an auto forum I checked.


http://www.carproblemzoo.com/hyundai/santafe/car-accelerates-on-its-own-problems.php

My Santa Fe is a 2006 model which I bought in early 2007. It is now a potential dangerous vehicle.

It's probably worth no more than $500 in a trade-in after which its fate will be in a retired autos nursing home.

So off I'll set today, looking for a low mileage pre-owned car. Much as I hate the thought of monthly payments I cannot risk life and limb in my now unreliable Santa Fe.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"