Sarsaparilla & c

The summer of 1975 saw me (as an English  seminarian in between my Junior and Senior years) helping to organize Vacation Church Schools in the Diocese of Western Massachusetts. (It's a long story, but that summer ministry eventually led to my coming to the U.S.A. in 1976 and serving parishes here since).

Together with seven other students I spent a week of training at the former Camp Bement in Charlton Depot, MA.  At the end of that week the American students took me to a bar in Worcester, MA with the aim of getting  me drunk on Tequila. They failed!

Then a team of four of us began our summer programme, beginning at St. James Church in Greenfield, MA.

Tequila pshaw.  What I lusted for was a Root Beer.  In England I had read about it in the "Peanuts" cartoon, but I had never tasted it.


My trusty companions took me to an A & W roadside stand (remember those!) on Route 2 in Greenfield. 


Not the Greenfield stand, but you get the idea.
There I savoured a Root Beer in a Frosty Mug.  'Twas great!

---------------------------------------------------------------

There are various root based drinks which owe their origins to Africa and to Native America  (Root Beer, Birch Beer, Sarsaparilla).  

There was a time when folks brewed their own root based drinks (my 93 years old friend Betty recalls that her dad used to do so - together with alcoholic beer in prohibition days).


Now the stuff we can buy is mostly made with artificial flavours -  not good.

I thought that Sarsaparilla was a thing of the past until I bought some in our local Mennonite Farm store.


Brewed or concocted in Pennsylvania.

It's OK, but it is not great.  I won't be standing in line to buy more.

N.B.

I had no idea that the word had that first "R" (Sars).  I thought that the drink was called Sassparilla.  Is it a silent R, or have I been mis-pronouncing the word?

One source said that Sarsaparilla is (or was) popular in the east end of London.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"