I got it wrong for so many years

Hoisting a Flag


Do you know or use the phrase "hoist by his (her) own petard".

It's used in situations such as this:

1. When I told my friends S and R that I hated the use of the b..ch word in reference to women, and a bit later referred to a woman I know as a b..ch.  S and R caught me  -  rightly so.

2. When a vociferous republican anti-gay politician is "caught" soliciting gay sex (it's happened more than once).

3. When a liberal democratic  politician is so very firm in his support of battered woman,  only to be exposed as a batterer.

------------------------------------------------------------

I'd thought for the longest time that "petard'  referred to a Naval Flag (such things are "hoisted").  When visiting my friend Jack Chrisman (USN Captain Ret.) I asked him about this.  He had no idea.

Jack and his souse  Donna have a daughter Ashley L. who looked up the phrase via Google.

She discovered that Wm. Shakespeare used the phrase in Hamlet.

It transpires that petard means " a small bomb". To be hoist (thrown up into the air) by one's own petard  means that a bomb you planned for others killed you. That makes sense.

But wait, there is more!  (I like this!).

"Petard"  is rooted in a French idiomatic word which means "to fart".

Oh how delicious!   To be hoist by one's petard can be understood as "to be destroyed by one's own fart".

'Tis a colourful use of language -  so much the better for that!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"