Learning on the job: # 1 Awe

Zion and I were at work today at a local Memory Unit/Assisted Living facility.

We encountered a lovely gentleman on the assisted living floor.  He's met Zion previously and was happy to see us.

I noticed his cap.   It read "Jungle Air Force":  of which I had never heard.  It transpires that "Jungle Air Force" is the nickname for the U.S. 13th Air Force, formed for far eastern/pacific  service in World War II.




I asked the man about his service.  He'd seen service in such places as Guadalcanal and New Guinea.  I did not press him for details about his tours.  That may come if I get to know him better.

But I had a sense of awe.  Here I was talking to a man who truly knew what it meant to defend our freedoms in the face of Japan's Imperial might, (Remember Pearl Harbor)  He had been in the thick of it.

This man was at war before I was born.  What a truly awesome privilege to meet him.

Here is a bit about the 13th "Jungle" Air Force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteenth_Air_Force

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


P.S. B 29 Super fortress taking off from Guadalcanal. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"