Vive la France - Bastille Day

It's Bastille Day. Vive la France.

With that in mind I confess that I  am a great admirer of the French National Anthem "La Marseillaise".  Never mind the words,  it has a magnificently stirring tune.

Twenty five or more years ago I came across Hector Berlioz' superb and extended version.  It is thrilling!!

Back in my St. Stephen's, Pittsfield, MA days (1984-2000)I would tote my C.D. player into the office on or near Bastille Day to play the Berlioz version as recorded by the Baltimore Symphony and Chorus in about 1988.  

The late and great parish lay leader Phil Desch and I would go into rhapsodies as we listened to the  superb Berlioz  arrangement of La Marseillaise.

And (heaven forfend) I introduced the Berlioz version to my French friends Jean-Paul et Lizzie who had never before heard it.

SO:

Vive la France

R.I.P. Phil Desch

Blessings to Jean Paul et Lizzie.

And here is a recording of Berlioz'  great version:


https://youtu.be/qjCKoCZUunU







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"