Adventures in Foodland



I'd read about these, but  usually in a history or a novel in which (for example) a western European traveler of the 18th century arrived at a market in (say) Persia and noted their abundance. "A relic of history" I thought.

A few weeks ago my ex-Sarasota-now California friend Susan R noted that she had harvested, or had been given 50 lbs of them.

I saw some in a Sarasota market this morning and bought some, not knowing what to expect, but thinking that if Susan liked them I might too.

"Oh my stars!"  I discovered a gem of fruity sweetness, with a delightfully crunchy skin.  I'll be back at the market tomorrow  to lay in a store before they go out of season.


-------------------------
I've never knowingly eaten one of these odd looking root vegetables so I took a chance and bought one in another market the day before yesterday.

They are a devil to peel  (do they have to be peeled?).  I cut one into small pieces, boiled the pieces, then mashed them along with parsnips and butternut squash.

Such a good and "nutty" flavour, enhancing the parsnips and squash.  Yum!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name that fruit.   Name that vegetable.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"