Welshman. Jew. Physician. Poet.

Dannie Abse 1923-2014

A proud Welshman.  A  faithful Jew. A fine physician.  A wonderful poet.

I am the fortunate owner of a book of his poems -  "Welsh Retropective" - Poetry Wales Press Ltd,1997

His poem "Case History" moves my soul

'Most Welshmen are worthless,/an inferior breed, doctor.'/ He did not
know I was Welsh./
Then he praised the architects/of the German death-camps --/ did not know
I was a Jew./
He called liberals, 'White blacks',/
and continued to invent curses.
When I palpated his liver/ I felt the soft liver of Goering;/ when I
lifted my stethoscope/ I heard the heartbeats of Himmler;/when I read his
encephalograph/
I thought, 'Sieg heil, mein Fuhrer.'
In the clinic's dispensary/red berry of black bryony,/
cowbane, deadly nightshade, deathcap./ Yet I prescribed for him/ as if he
were my brother.
Later that night I must have slept/ on my arm:/ momentarily my right
hand lost its cunning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaks volumes to "Christian" bakers who refuse to make a cake for a same sex wedding and "Christian" photographers who refuse their services to same sex couples

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do please look up Dannie Abse via Google, and also his fabulous brother Leo Abse, a courageous U.K. Member of Parliament

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"