The Chocolate and Cream Coloured 'Bus - and a feel good movie

Until last Saturday, 6th July 2019 I had not been to the Movies since 2011 when my friend (the late) Ben Morse and I went to see "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".  We could not abide the violence, so we left the cinema when the film was about half way through.

Eight years later I was enticed to see "Yesterday" because my Cambridge MA friend Donna T wrote on Face Book that she had seen it.

She was especially pleased because the film is set in Lowestoft, Suffolk, U.K.

I've never met an American who has heard of Lowestoft, let alone been there.  Donna was the exception -  it turns out that she has visited a first cousin who lives there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lowestoft:- it might as well have been Nirvana according to my Mum who was born there.  (By a nice coincidence, my friend Jeff who I  have known since 1950 also had a Lowestoft born mother).

I think that I was about eleven years of age (1955) when Mum took me (and I think my brother Andy - then five years old) on a trip to Nirvana.

We went by coach ( the U.K. word for a long distance 'bus) and the maybe 210 miles journey took at least ten hours ( no Motorways/ Interstates in the U.K back then)  including stops in Marlborough, Wilts for a cup of tea!, and in  London to change coaches.

Our coach looked something like this


Thirty five seater, gas/petrol engine.

We arrived in Lowestoft. My Mum's  Aunt Ada and her husband Uncle Jim met us, and we walked to their modest cottage at # 13, Gun Lane, now demolished.

I was more or less happy to be in my mother's home town.  Above all else I was intrigued and delighted with the Lowestoft Corporation 'buses, all decked out in Chocolate and Cream.


Lowestoft Corporation 'bus.
All the 'buses I knew (in Bristol) were painted green.


 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Donna's tip off, my friend Ashley and I went last Saturday to see "Yesterday", set in Lowestoft.



The Movie has many references to Lowestoft  which made me happy. But it made no attempt to honour the East Anglian accent.

They  sounded my mother's natal town as LOW-ES- TOFT (three syllables) rather than the indigenous   LOES TUFF

Nonetheless "Yesterday" is worth seeing. As Utah Public Radio puts it --





























"It's not an award-winner but a fluffy feel-good treat for the summer"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"