St. John's College, Nottingham U.K -My Theological College (Seminary) is closing





St. John's College, Nottingham, U.K.  my theological  Alma Mater, and dear to my heart in many ways will close in September 2020.    I trained there for ordained ministry between 1972 and 1976.

St. John's had a life span of 135 years,  It flourished in the olden days when the typical path to ordination in the C of E  was for men
who had completed high school; had taken a Bachelors Degree at Oxford, Cambridge  or some lesser University!; and almost immediately (at age about 23), had entered a Theological College.

Even by my time that pattern had begun to unravel.  I was 28 years old when I enrolled at St. John's, sans any prior degree,

My way was paid by a generous grant from the County Council of Oxfordshire  - in which County I was living at the time,

Those County grants have all but dried up. 

The typical seminarian is now more likely to be female than male; and/or in her or his thirties or even forties. For such there are  no Government grants.

The dough is no longer there.

So my College (St, John's, Nottingham, U.K. )  will close its doors next yearIt's sad, but inevitable, 

Here is what I wrote to some of my former class mates and professors.


I will always be grateful for the College;  the friendships I made which have endured; the pastoral care from staff such as Colin Buchanan and Steve Travis; the high quality of my education;  at College and at the University of Nottingham..


Pove


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"