Music: - when I was a wee lad, and I wept for the sheer beauty of it.

Was I eight years old, or was I ten years old?

My exact age doesn't matter, except that I know it happened before my teen years.

I had gone to bed. From the radio downstairs I heard the sheer beauty of a  piece of music.

It was "The Arrival of The Queen of Sheba" from G.F. Handel's oratorio "Solomon".

I left my bed, stood on the stairs,  and started to cry.  My parents, and maybe also my big sister Maureen,  heard me.

"Why" they asked "are you crying?"

As best I could I explained that the music I'd heard had a beauty which made me cry.   They understood.

And this particular piece still evokes my lachrymose tendencies!



https://youtu.be/C66XCqWkhmw



Solomon and the Queen of Sheba

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"